Facebook Marketing | Don’t be an a$$

Today I have something funny for you to read! In fact something really funny that had myself and some spam book facebook marketingof my facebook friends in stitches on Monday night. The thread below and the “discussion” that ensued all took part on my buddy Emma Faircloughs wall..

The reason why I have put this up is to show you that you have to be SO careful when it comes to marketing using the social networking sites! If you do it right it’ll be your best friend, if you do it wrong, it’ll be your worst enemy just as our friend “Mr Power” discovered.

You see one thing you have to discover about marketing on Facebook is that their is a certain kinda “ettiquette” that must be adhered to at all times! Well at least it has to be adhered to if you care about your reputation and your business!

Numero UNO rule on Facebook is NO SPAM. This is something that marketers like myself really hate! Its a common thing for new people starting out online, their upline/sponsor/mentor has NO idea what they are doing and tells them that the best way to get people looking at your business is to get your link EVERYWHERE!

They tell you to pitch your business at every given opportunity, and urge you to put your spammy “copied and pasted” crap wherever you can! Inboxs, statuses, friends walls etc.

Now the reason they are doing this is because they have no idea how to market effectively. They think by law of averages the more people that see it… the more chance they have of getting it in the face of someone who is interested.

Though smart marketers like myself and my friends know that the way to market your business effectively is to be an attractionaire.. attract your prospects to you, by giving value, being transparent, offering advice & actually build relationships with people!

So we’re all merrily doing this, interacting with each other…focusing on our brand and our business and then
BAM
along comes a clueless marketer….who hits you with it… SPAM !!

Now if you’re new to marketing or aren’t even started yet.. you may wonder what the big deal is.. but trust me, if you’re anything like myself and my peers, we spend a fair amount of time on facebook.. so we get it EVERY SINGLE DAY, for a few they will just leave the comments there, for many they will just delete them, though more often than not.. somethign will get said, I’ve done it many a time myself.. because the poor soul is clearly clueless what they’re doing online, so I try to reach out and explain that.. “you know what, this really isn’t the done thing, get back to your upline, and find out you really should be marketing on these social networking sites” etc

There is place for all of us to prosper online, and sometimes, people are just clueless of the ways that work when it comes to marketing, usually because their sponsor has no idea, so as opposed to just deleting… its great sometimes to try and explain, so that they may get a better understanding of the “facebook etiquette”

99% of the time they appreciate your advice & take a step back and understand the error of there ways..
1% of the time.. they act like an absolute a$$.

I’ll let you make your own mind up on which category you think our friend Mr.Power falls into….

facebook marketing

So what are your thoughts??
Were we too harsh on Mr. Power ?
Do you think that we should have just left the SPAM go unnoticed?!
Do you think we were right to mention it to him & try to educate him?
Have you ever had a similar experience.. or maybe you have been incorporating “SPAM” into your business plan and after reading this now have an understanding on why you shouldn’t do it?!

Let me know your thoughts because after “Power Gate” we’d all love to know what you think!!

, ,

35 Responses to Facebook Marketing | Don’t be an a$$

1. Matt Duggan September 9, 2010 at 6:07 pm #

HaHAAAAAAAAA! Hilarious!

I totally missed this on Facebook. Quite the little soap opera you had going on there. I love the fact that Shaqir waded in too. Ketan's comments were pretty good too.

I don't think the comments should have gone unnoticed, but I'm not sure I would have declared all out war on the guy! I probably would un-friend him/block him and maybe report him too. I'm not sure your efforts to 'educate' him were all that worth it or well recieved, but I see what you were going for.

Not sure he deserved the gang-bollocking he got but it may make him ask some questions about the way he promotes his business…

And you've given the whole episode a name, like some sort of political IM scandal! Love it. Mike Power is the new Nixon! I think that makes you David Frost, Cher.

2. Tom Harveu September 9, 2010 at 10:01 pm #

Cher

An absolute classic – you just couldn't make up a great case study like that!!

It never ceases to amaze me what levels some people will stoop to in the vain effort to make a fast buck online. Mr Power clearly has no idea of how to operate with integrity, and given he can't even get his links right with proficiency either. Lets just hope he has learnt something from the words of wisdom that you all have shared…..

Tom

3. Lalla September 9, 2010 at 10:11 pm #

Unbelievable – don't think you were hard enough on him – what a rude f**ker!!!! He's missed a good opportunity to learn from you all!

4. Robert scott September 18, 2010 at 12:37 pm #

hey cher,

this is one of the reasons i dont spend a lot of time on fb anymore (apart from being super busy). get tired of these idiots spammin there $25 mr anderson (matrix) crap ;-). I actually fel sorry for guys like this, but i also got sick of trying to help them. I constantly tried explaing to people like Mike that this isnt the way to market and they just waste time.

But they dont listen!!

Anyway, keep up the great work…..and ps. i dont mind if you can't speel..uh spoll…spel?

Oh whatever….you still rock!!

5. Lil September 19, 2010 at 12:30 pm #

It's hillarious and a little strange to me how he behaved to represent himself/business. He seems to be seeing only his side and only his side is right when people politely told him what's wrong. Things went sour but its because of his action on how he treat others. Nyways… hope he sees what's wrong.

6. Richardvanstratum September 19, 2010 at 1:55 pm #

That was unbe”f*****g”lievable, I picked up this on the Warrior forum so that means another 200k internet marketers have to. I am in shock at his responses, I can't imagine anyone making themselves look such a nob. I'm gonna friend request you for the fact that you've shown me what an honest and straight talking person you are. Powers on the other hand, which no doubt is miles fro his real name is also getting this on my blog so others don't fall for his crap and as a great lesson on how NOT to do this game. Highly enlightening stuff, thanks!

7. Mark September 19, 2010 at 1:58 pm #

Very kind of you to attempt to help him. Shame he was too full of himself to get anything from it.

8. Viewcaster Net September 19, 2010 at 2:20 pm #

There have been TONS of articles and blog posts about marketing on social networking sites and this little case is exactly what has concerned me about this practice. I'm not so sure you ever get decent quality traffic from trying to get business and usually just end up being annoying (of course hopefully not to the level of Powers!). John. http://www.viewcaster.net/

9. Suraj September 19, 2010 at 5:35 pm #

haha i read this as it unfolded on Emma's profile…still cracks me up !!

10. Cher Pearce September 19, 2010 at 6:02 pm #

haha thanks robert, you know i always appreciate your input! and HEY I can spell, I was just so frantically typing my response that I hit the wrong letter!!! LOL.

Anyway thanks for stopping by and getting inviolved Mr Scott! 😉

11. Simon October 5, 2010 at 1:43 am #

Hey Cher,

What an awesome post! I love the way you actually tried to help the guy but he was just waaay to stupid to realize it. I may well have to spread this message further as it is the number one lesson in how not to market on facebook!

Thanks for the continued great posts!

Simon

12. Larry Rivera October 8, 2010 at 6:15 pm #

Hey Cher, how have you been? I agree some people seem to think that spamming their biz op somehow will make friends. I am glad you wrote about this subject. Mr. Power is a typical example of what plagues this industry. Thanks for sharing,
    Larry

13. Simon October 11, 2010 at 6:08 pm #

It's people like this that give our industry a bad name! I can't wait to see him again to be honest. Just to see if he has learned from his facebook escapades!!

great post as usual though Cher!

Cheers

Simon

14. Emma October 11, 2010 at 11:11 pm #

Lordy lordy just re-read this again – crazy times girlfriend!

Having said that I actually do think that together, united we stand, we can educate these people.

I know that Mr Powers is possibly not ready yet but, if we ALL very politely let spammers know that what they're doing is not the done thing and could they kindly stop spamming our walls – I really think change can happen.

I now have people asking me if I can endorse their products and promote them on my wall, and I am of course, as long as it's something that's in line with me, saying yes! If they go straight and post directly just like our friend Mike here then I'm letting them know that it's not on.

Come on, let's make a stand!!! Great work, have an awsome eveing y'all 😉

15. Cher Pearce October 12, 2010 at 1:16 pm #

Thanks Simon, appreciate your input!!

Did you know that he then went on to add me as a friend on FB
    only last week! haha.. so funny :)

Thanks for stopping by!

CP

16. Cher Pearce October 12, 2010 at 1:19 pm #

Hello Missy!

haha yeah I have re-read this a couple of times over the past few weeks.. still makes me laugh!!

But yeah I agree, I think the more we guide people, then hopefully we will get to the masses and will be able to help eradicate some of the FB spam that we have to put up with on a daily basis in this industry.. if we DON'T protect what we have.. then Facebook will get corrupted by spam just as MySpace did.. and with all the amazing things that are happening on FB we defo dont want that happening;)

Well done for thinking outside the box and offering to help people with their causes by speaking with them direct, defo the best way to do it :-)

Keep rocking chica!!

17. Alan Ashwood October 12, 2010 at 3:23 pm #

Hi Cher, I just found your site today, and I must say, it's excellent – style – tone – quality. It's so good I'll just copy 'n' paste all your posts; then I'll have a great site too, except for the photo. Maybe nobody'll notice if I use your pic too, I'll draw a moustache and beard on it, like mine, so nobody'll notice? I'll rename it the 118 118 Blog (only Brits will understand).
    Sorry, sorry I digress. First, this was hilarioei, hystrie, very funny indeed, and I'm surprised you kept him on the line for so long, glad you did tho.
    Seriously – I gave learned a lesson here! I have a feeling I was on the verge of spamming folks. Not deliberately, but in a desperate attempt to get attention (y'know, like a puppy). However, Mike, if that's his name really poo'd on his own carpet here.
    Could you accidently tell me his Facebook handle. I'm sure lots of us would just love to write to him. Nothing spammy of course.
    The final choke. He's promoting GDI! Perhaps he should have checked the reviews for GDI. Then maybe all this would've been but a dream. But that would be shame.
    Gotta go, ran out of paper, and one of the kids nicked me pe . . . n
    PS

18. Alan Ashwood October 12, 2010 at 3:29 pm #

Yeah, rite wriyte ryte right. Corse you kan. I believe coz yor a gurlie

19. Alan Ashwood October 12, 2010 at 3:35 pm #

While I partially agree with you Matt, he came across as an arrogant sneering bullying idiot, and should have been taken to task. What I loved was that the two women/ladies/girls creatively played him like a toy, drew him in, and enabled him to make himself look stupid, while they most certainly held the upper ground.
    I've got a daughter like that, and she's only 8.

20. Cher Pearce October 15, 2010 at 8:26 pm #

LOL ALan, I have to say thankyou so much for brightening up my day with your humorous response, that really had me chuckling!!

Im glad that you too feel that you have learned a lesson from the post, great to be able to help!

Thanks for interacting with us here :-)

CP

21. Betsy October 19, 2010 at 2:19 pm #

Actually I think it would have been more tasteful for everyone if you would have just removed his post from your page and “inboxed” him regarding his spam. The more I work with new marketers out there, the more I find out how they’ve been misled to believe this is the right way to market. Sometimes they are just overzealous and are trying so hard that they lose all thought about what is offensive to others. Perhaps he wouldn’t have listened but at least he wouldn’t have been humiliated “publicly”. I think it’s always best to take the high road with anyone making mistakes like this and assume that they just don’t know any better. I understand everyone’s frustration with him and he certainly could have responded with an apology once he was “called” on it, but again, it would have been much better to have kept these conversations private. Everyone starts somewhere and unfortunately it’s not always in the right place!

22. Unstoppablefamily October 26, 2010 at 12:36 pm #

Nice work ladies! This guy has no idea he is sinking his own ship.

It is great to see someone exposing the poor marketing strategies that are out there. I have seen great marketers destroy their name because they have no Social Media ettiquette. Keep up the great work…and thanks for the laugh.

23. Malcolm Barry October 27, 2010 at 9:09 pm #

To be perfectly honest Cher I personally wouldn’t have validated it or wasted my time by entering into dialogue over it. It is simply too distructive to bathe yourself in all that negativity! Just delete and move on is my motto.
    Namaste!

24. Greg Lumsden October 29, 2010 at 11:18 pm #

Ahh poor old Mike, now you shouldna ( yep spelt correctly ) lol don’t be so hard on him, after all he probably did a stint in the forces, and they teach you to FOLLOW YOUR LAST ORDER blame his leader…… I hope this helps you to understand poor old mike….. if he had proper leadership taught him then then the FORCE could have been WITH HIM…

25. ecigchic November 1, 2010 at 4:00 am #

Cher,
    Before I comment on the douchbag, I’d like to thank you for providing such great content. I’ve been a facebook friend for a long time but only recently did I find your blog through the iPhone app. I am a newbie Internet marketer & it’s quickly become something I’m passionate about. This post was educating in so many ways.

1. The obvious anti- spamming issue was just an important reminder that no matter how difficult it is to find prospects, resorting to spam isn’t going to help.
    2. Always remember that old saying “It takes a second to ruin your reputation, and a lifetime to gain it back.”
    3. Always stay on your good side! I just love your cheeky sense of humor!
    To the douchbag, I’d just like to shout out to him and send a thank you! There are so many people who will read this and never forget the importance of not just spamming but creating a positive image for yourself even in the beginning. I can’t wait to read your future posts!

Thanks again,
    Christina Ellis
    -ecigchic-

26. ecigchic November 1, 2010 at 4:19 am #

I just wanted to thank you as well. As I said in my other response, I’m a newbie in the marketing realm and it’s quickly becoming something I’m passionate about. By reaching out to d-bags like him you are also reaching out to others who actually are appreciative of the advice. I know first hand how hard it is when you are just starting out. I’m a single mom with 2 mouths to feed! One day, when I’m experienced as you, I hope to reach out to those just starting as you and Cher are doing.
    Thanks again,
    Christina Ellis
    -ecigchic-

27. Glen Kirkham November 2, 2010 at 4:07 pm #

Errrmm…

What is this all about…. Wish I was friends with Emma so I could've joined the baiting… haha

28. Jen November 4, 2010 at 8:13 pm #

Hello Cher,

I just found your site today and I am really enjoying persuing it. The 'discussion' with Mike Powers had my sides splitting – some people just can't be told! I was wondering if he was Austin Powers' evil twin?

Any-way, I have completed your survey and look forward to checking out more of your videos. :)

29. Russell Williams January 14, 2011 at 2:20 pm #

This is amazing and realy does defy belief. He was beaten early but just kept coming back for more. I am guessing he hasn’t re posted with Emma? as its now a few months on it’ll be interesting to see how he’s getting on.

I bet the moneys now flooding in!!!!! **/)(\**

30. Cher January 14, 2011 at 2:35 pm #

You shoudl check out some of my wall photos on FB as he has actually tried to re-add me TWICE since then! What a joker 😉

31. Cher January 14, 2011 at 2:42 pm #

LOL Only just I hadnt responded to this one Glen.. some a$$ who was doingwhat we all love to hate on Facebook.. SPAMMING!! We tried to play nicely at first and give him some sound advice.. but then he just came back biting! Made himself look a real idiot! I hope he saw sense after and realised it really wasnt the best way to do business.. but I guess we’ll never know :)

32. Marlon Acosta January 14, 2011 at 3:15 pm #

That is amazing how stubborn some people are in their mindset. This is a great article for what not to do on facebook… LOL. Thanks for sharing.

33. Cher January 14, 2011 at 3:39 pm #

Thanks Marlon! Glad you liked it, definitely a guide for “what not to do” lol & also “how to ruin your credibilty in one status thread!” :)

34. Cassy Nettles January 27, 2012 at 11:40 am #

Wow! Thank you! I continually wanted to write on my site something like that.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Free Traffic Sources | Simon Dodd - October 6, 2010

[…] At the moment I am not doing anything to get any paid traffic as I am getting enough free traffic from these techniques. I will be starting to use twitter a lot more as I can see the value of this place and I am not really marketing to facebook at the moment, just sending out a quick message on my wall letting people know that I have a new post up. If you want to know how not to market to facebook check out my friend Cher Pearce’s blog post here. […]